Friday, August 12, 2005

It's still a little early for the funeral, but...

I'm starting to wonder if Star Trek Communicator is as dead as the Star Trek Role Playing Game.

Both properties are owned by Decipher. There's been no progress or real news relating to the RPG in two years. Several books scheduled to be published in 2003 never materialized, though as I recall some of the contributors said the books were finished and just had to be printed.

As for Communicator, it's been three months and change since the last bimonthly issue. Bimonthly means every two months.

No one from Decipher or Communicator participates in any discussions on their official bbs. The older Fan Club forum did have the occasional post from Larry Nemecek and Dan Madsen, as I recall, but that was some time ago.

Trek-RPG.net and RPG.net are overflowing with speculation and relatively few facts, aside from an article from a small regional business news website. And, more recently, a letter from the owner of Decipher, posted today, which says Decipher has had a rough year but everything is fine now. The Trek CCG was mentioned. Communicator and the RPG were not.

If not for Pocket, I'd be ready to say Star Trek is as dead as Fantastic Journey or Ark II. Buy more Pocket Star Trek books, everybody!

(Now playing: Birdie, "Thanks for the Birthday Card," Some Dusty.)

1 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Allyn said...

Several years ago, flush with excitement from the first Lord of the Rings movie, I sent Decipher my money for the Official Fan Club and bought up the RPG books.

All told, I received a membership card, a frameable picture of the Fellowship, and one issue of the Fan Club magazine. One.

The last RPG book came out in 2003, I think. They've updated the website with three new adventures, there's rumors that the next sourcebook will be out Sometime Soon, but I'm not holding my breath.

The Official Fan Club has, to the best of my knowledge, shuttered its doors. I've never bothered looking at the Extended Edition credits to see if my name ever appeared as a member of the Fan Club. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home