Sunday, June 20, 2010

So, what's new?

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job, and heaven knows I'm miserable now. Well, not really. Not at all. Just busier than I've been in a long time. But any chance to quote a Smiths lyric. But as for the lack of posting here, busy just about sums it up. Doesn't help that some of the Trek books of the last year or so have left me feeling underwhelmed, though.

I didn't care for Inception, though I'd hoped to. But one of the major characters, Leila Kalomi, never came to life for me, and the whole ecoterrorist plot was embarrassingly inept. It didn't feel like a thought-out extrapolation of anything from the real world; it was, if anything, the Emily Litella version ("now what's all this fuss about endangered feces?"). Or maybe the thematic sequel no one wanted to "The Way to Eden."

The Unspoken Truth disappointed me because, although I've been waiting a long time for a Saavik novel, I haven't been waiting for a Robin Curtis Saavik novel; I really didn't like her take on the character, but Margaret Wander Bonanno's book is very much a portrait of the Curtis Saavik rather than the Kirstie Alley Saavik.

The Children of Kings just kind of baffled me. As Stern's author's note at the end points out, it doesn't really fit into the TV continuity, but it doesn't fit in the new movie continuity either. But what it does with that freedom from continuity is, essentially, a perfectly normal Trek novel, almost interchangeable with any number of older standalone Trek novels. What's the point?

For me, at least, all three of these books were lost opportunities, chances to broaden the horizons of original series Trek fiction that didn't pan out.

In other news, the PC with Dreamweaver and the website working files is out of order at the moment. I certainly hope it can be restored, but it'll be a little while before all the latest news is reflected there. Good thing I did a lot of work on it a few weeks ago.

And another Smiths quote to end this brief update: there's more to life than books, you know, but not much more. Not much more.

4 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Blogger D. Browning Gibson said...

Glad to see a new post. I check this site daily, along with PsiPhi and Trekmovie.

I agree wholeheartedly about Inception. I decided there had to be more going on behind the scenes (how and when the book came together--major changes at Pocket in the last year) that explained this production from Perry and Dennison when Avatar, Unity, and the two Lost Era books are other examples of what they are capable of writing.

On the other hand, I loved Unspoken Truth. I posted a review at Amazon and at PsiPhi.

Finally, Children of Kings. I enjoyed it much more than I expected; interestingly, whenever I am reminded of it, as when I read your post, and reflect back on it, I have to struggle to remember what is was about. That's telling. The author's note was confusing. And yeah, you nailed it when you talked about the interchangeability of the novel.

I'm looking forward to the fall and the Typhon Pact foursome.

Donnie

 
At 9:10 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Yeah, I'm definitely looking forward to the Typhon Pact books, too. There are a lot of different ways they could go with that.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous mmtz said...

Busy is good, but don't forget that we're all going to be anxiously awaiting your take on Night of the Living Trekkies when it comes out next month. The new cover art at Amazon is amusing.

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Oh, I'll be reading that one for sure. How can I resist a cross between Free Enterprise and Shaun of the Dead?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home