Saturday, October 15, 2011

Maybe I should read TrekWeb...

... then it wouldn't take a year and a half to notice that they borrowed a bunch of the content from The God Thing page, credited me for the material quoted from various books, misattributed at least one of the quotes, and didn't add anything of their own. So it's the first thing you find when you google for information about the book.

Oh, well. Maybe Gustavo was having a slow news day. And at least he didn't just plagiarize it and slap his name on it, as at least one fanzine bozo did.

But there are days when the whole idea of maintaining a site like the Complete Starfleet Library seems just so 1990s. You don't need one person to do a lot of work to build a website; you just need a whole lot of people to go through other people's sites for bits and pieces that can be incorporated into a wiki. Still, I'm not ready to give up on it yet.

8 Comments:

At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this i understand well, and have little respect for those who plagiarize and mark it as if it were their own. call them on it. i would.

 
At 4:49 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Well, I told off the fanzine editor. As for Trekweb, they at least linked to my page.

 
At 5:28 PM, Anonymous Jens said...

From what I have seen over the years that seems to be TrekWeb's usual MO, and to be honest I have little to no respect for them.

Heck, they once copied a post I made on the Trek BBS 1:1 for their short news:

http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=48115

http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=47ded9b749532

And the worst part isn't that they would copy a forum post without credit, although that is pretty ridiculous in itself, but that Dan had actually sent them a press release when the site launched.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous mmtz said...

No! You can't give up on it until the last Star Trek book is published. Seriously, in many ways, the Complete Starfleet Library, a simple but thorough list, inspired the Star Trek Comics Checklist. I know that an army of bloggers and wiki contributors can keep up with these topics far more easily than one person can, but your approach still works just fine.

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger D. Browning Gibson said...

You've got my support. This is one of two Trek sites I check regulary--the other being Trekmovie.com.

I like your reviews of books, the historical information you often present, and the LIST.

Donnie

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please don't give up! As I move through the dozens of books that I never got around to reading decades ago, your page has been, to say the very least, an incredibly valuable resource. I would be very sad without it!

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous ryan123450 said...

Steve, never loose heart. So many of us love your site. Don't give up on it!

 
At 8:57 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Sorry for being a bit of a drama queen last weekend; more or less normal service has resumed. Thanks for the comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home